Second Hand September Tips with Helena, aka Ditsy Floral!
1. Create a list of your dream pieces or just things you're looking for so you can tick them off when you find them.
2. Think about different ways to describe a particular piece of clothing. For example, I love big, flowy, hippie maxi skirts. So I use lots of different key words like: tiered, ruffled, fairy, hippie, whimsigoth, velvet, chiffon, silk, circle.
3. Create a list of brands that you can search and filter for on depop and vinted. This works best for items that are from the 90s onwards but that isn't a definite rule. I always look out for Laura Ashley, Gunne Sax and Monsoon.
4. If ever you find something you like but it's from somewhere like urban outfitters you will guaranteed be able to find it on vinted and depop, even if it means waiting a couple months.
5. Patience is key. You won't always find what you want in the first 10 minutes of searching.
6. Become part of the vintage fashion community on Instagram. There are loads of lovely small businesses and collectors. You can develop great friendships and sometimes even trade pieces.