Meet Gemma from Girl In The Garden!

 

Hi Tog Gang!

By now you will know about our amazing crochet collaboration with Girl On Purl Action, or as we like to call her - Gemma! 

After going to Glastonbury together in 2019 (pics below!), the collab was born! We combined our business name with hers to create a rainbow 70s collection of crochet goodness called 'Girl In The Garden', and we absolutely love every piece like a child.

But we've never really given you the opportunity to meet Gem, so read on to find out how she got into crocheting, what inspires her, and how to shop her amazing pieces!

(Caitlin and Gemma socially distancing in their GITG tees and headscarves!)

How long have you been into crocheting and what got you into it?

Eeep! Far too long! About a decade ha ha! I taught myself with YouTube videos and text books from the library - it was a real labour of love as my first few items were a nightmare! I was a bunny that ended up looking like something from a horror film & a little Flash figure which was far too small! 

I learnt to knit when I was 5 but shape work in knitting doesn't give the same finish as crochet does. It's quicker but uses more yarn.

What inspires you?

Erm... anything I find cute, or can be made cute! I'm a big fan of putting faces on as many things as possible! My creatures are very kawaii inspired, but the Girl In The Garden was born from our Glastonbury Festival adventures! Seeing so many people in amazing festival crochet clothing! It really opened my eyes to going nuts with clothing colours. 


What is your favourite thing you have ever made?

*pauses for a week*... LLAMA!


My little llama started from a weird dream about going to Ireland with my family & me being sat next to a llama on the plane, so I made it happen!
He's been to Ireland, Italy, Sicily, Paris, Glastonbury, Wales, Appleby... basically we can't go away without him with us now! He makes the 'to-pack' list.

What do you think is a good beginner thing to start with?

Something flat and small! No-one's making a poncho in a few hours... I offer a mini bunting pattern on my Etsy page and it's great as you can finish it in a few hours even as a beginner, and it helps you understand basic shape work without confusing yourself by going round and round in circles (or working 'in the round')! 

What have you got planned for the rest of the year?

Halloween! I love Halloween, so I've got lots of spooky creatures out this month, then it's all about the Christmas decorations. I can't wait to get back to my party sprout baubles... I've missed them! There's also a dress and a waistcoat on the near horizon for Girl In The Garden (*whispers* and maybe Retro Christmas decorations)!


Would you recommend any crafting groups?

I used to run a crafting group in Liverpool city centre for 6 years! Covid put a stop to it but honestly I wouldn't have the time to go back to it now between work and family life. Honestly I don't know of any running at the minute, but they will definitely be back! Your local yarn shop should be able to help.

What's the best thing about crocheting?

The repetition and the constant counting, whether it's stitches or rows! I zone out completely. I lost my cro-jo over the summer but it's wonderful for your mental health, and I remember being so proud of myself for finishing a little project! 

(Gemma's boss logo - click to shop her Etsy!)

We love you Gemma! Here are some of our fave Girl In The Garden pieces you can find on our website - they're all made to order from super soft vegan wool, just for you!





(Click photos to shop)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TOG Talks with Dawn O'Porter!

The History of Vintage Sleeves with Alicia Vellante

TOG Talks with The Meyer Dancers!